[Tfug] *Way* OT: Swamp coolers, ACbrrs, etc.

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 20 17:32:53 MST 2007

Hi, Tom,

Any goodies yesterday??  :>

--- tponsford <tponsford at rnsmte.com> wrote:

> Don't overlook a main proponent of a "switchable"
> cooling system, you
> need to factor in the relative/specific humidity.
> The amount of moisture
> in the air determines the electiveness of an
> evaporative cooler. A low
> temperature and high humidity results in an
> uncomfortable clammy feeling
> as sweat can't evaporate and cool you!
> If you notice how humid the house becomes with an
> evaporative cooler
> when a thunderstorm approaches. The amount of
> moisture in the air
> increases as the barometric pressure lowers and the
> evaporative cooler's
> effectiveness lessens. A calculation of the Dew
> point (given as a
> temperature) will show when the condensation point
> ie., sweaty point!,
> is reached. A switchover from an AC that produces
> cool DRY air from and
> evaporative cooler that produces cool WET air,
> shouldn't be based on
> temp alone.
>
> I'm really surprised that *smart* evaporative
> coolers are not really
> being marketed. A combo AC/EC with an embedded
> controller would probably
> pay for itself in just a few summers.

Exactly.  However, the big problem IMHO is you
also need control over *venting* in order to
run a dual cooling system "automatically"
(i.e. "motorized windows")

> I think Tucson was rated the 4th sweatiest city in
> the country (with
> Phoenix, numero uno!) no doubt due to the number of
> people who keep
> their evaporative coolers on even during the

That is complete crap!  Spend a Summer in Chicago,
Boston, etc. (have you forgotten what DC was like???)
and you'll quickly opt to "summer" in Tucson!
(I can't imagine feenigs being much worse even
despite the delta T).

> monsoons. Turning up the EC
> fan speed doesn't really help the cooling effort if
> your trying to dump
> more moisture into the already saturated air.
>
> Oh yeah, the embedded controller in the *smart*
> cooler would use an
> open-source OS. This to keep the post on-topic!! :-)

Already taken into consideration!  :>