[Tfug] *Way* OT: Swamp coolers, ACbrrs, etc.

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 20 17:47:50 MST 2007

--- johngalt1 <johngalt1 at uswest.net> wrote:

> I say this sweatiest city list is a bunch of crap.
> Rather, it is a marketing
> vehicle for Old Spice.
>
> Methodology
>
> The Sweatiest Cities rankings are based on computer
> simulations of the
> amount of sweat a person of average height and
> weight would produce walking
> around for an hour in the average high temperatures
> during June, July and
> August of 2006 for each city.

That's the flaw in the argument -- you would
*produce* that much perspiration (because your
body has to manage that increased thermal load)
but the perspiration would *instantly* evaporate!

Contrast this with a nice, *cool* 80 degree day
in Chi-town -- with 60-80%RH where that perspiration
*never* evaporates!

I landscaped the yard in 110+ weather (I recall
seeing the yard thermometer read 117 one of those
days) yet I never felt as "sweaty" as *any* summer
day in Chicago, etc.

Witness how people have to be *reminded* to drink
water, here.  Because you don't *feel* like you have
perspired -- even in the outrageous heat!  (as an
aside, I never realized just how much water your
body can move out through the skin!!)