[Tfug] *Way* OT: Swamp coolers, ACbrrs, etc.

tponsford tponsford at rnsmte.com
Mon Jun 18 19:39:22 MST 2007

Don't overlook a main proponent of a "switchable" cooling system, you
need to factor in the relative/specific humidity. The amount of moisture
in the air determines the electiveness of an evaporative cooler. A low
temperature and high humidity results in an uncomfortable clammy feeling
as sweat can't evaporate and cool you!
If you notice how humid the house becomes with an evaporative cooler
when a thunderstorm approaches. The amount of moisture in the air
increases as the barometric pressure lowers and the evaporative cooler's
effectiveness lessens. A calculation of the Dew point (given as a
temperature) will show when the condensation point ie., sweaty point!,
is reached. A switchover from an AC that produces cool DRY air from and
evaporative cooler that produces cool WET air, shouldn't be based on
temp alone.

I'm really surprised that *smart* evaporative coolers are not really
being marketed. A combo AC/EC with an embedded controller would probably
pay for itself in just a few summers.

I think Tucson was rated the 4th sweatiest city in the country (with
Phoenix, numero uno!) no doubt due to the number of people who keep
their evaporative coolers on even during the monsoons. Turning up the EC
fan speed doesn't really help the cooling effort if your trying to dump
more moisture into the already saturated air.

Oh yeah, the embedded controller in the *smart* cooler would use an
open-source OS. This to keep the post on-topic!! :-)  LOL

Cheers,

Tom