[Tfug] Router with VPN

Bill M. beelymagee at cox.net
Sun Jun 17 20:49:34 MST 2007

EVorrie,
Thanks for your response.

> Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 07:39:27 +0000
> From: evorrie at comcast.net
> Subject: Re: [Tfug] Router with VPN
> To: Tucson Free Unix Group <tfug at tfug.org>, tfug at tfug.org
>

> Tunnel everything over ssh.  Faster and better than VPN.

Do you mean keep doing what I've been doing as noted in my OP (see
below)? or is there a simpler SSH tunnel method that doesn't required
making changes for each client application? I don't want to run anything
from a home-based PC (at least not yet), I just want to encrypt my
wireless traffic while in a coffee shop.

> From: "Bill M." <beelymagee at cox.net>
>> > that...) I've been doing an SSH connection to the firewall box with
>> > SOCKS while out using free, open WiFi - works, but have to do config
>> > changes to proxy for each client application. The older PC running
>> > Smoothwall is showing its age: hard drive whine, consuming too much
>> > energy, etc. so I'd like to investigate other options.
>> > Here's how I've been doing this:
>> > ssh -D 3456 -p 888 <user>@staticIP-address (port #s changed)
>> > Sets up a tunnel on the Destination port "3456" using the firewall port
>> > "888"
>> > I then tell Firefox network proxy to use 127.0.0.1 Port 3456 in the
>> > SOCKS config field and all my web traffic goes out to port 3456 to the
>> > Smoothwall box and then back out to the desired web site. (Same setup
>> > for Thunderbird.) End result: encrypted WiFi traffic through the SSH
>> > tunnel and open, in-the-clear leaving the Smoothwall box.

-*-Bill