[Tfug] Router with VPN

Bill M. beelymagee at cox.net
Mon Jun 18 00:08:50 MST 2007

Matt,

Thanks for your response - greatly appreciated!

> Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 00:46:08 -0700
> From: "Matt  Jacob" <matt.jacob at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Tfug] Router with VPN
> To: "Tucson Free Unix Group" <tfug at tfug.org>
>
> A couple things:
>
> # If you want something integrated in the router, make sure you get a
> VPN endpoint router and not just a router that can do VPN passthrough.
> My understanding is that routers with VPN passthrough simply don't
> mess with L2TP and PPTP packets when doing NAT (i.e. for connecting
> out to work or something).

Here's a review of a Linksys router that seems to have all the features
you are mentioning above:

http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/linksys-etherfast-cable-dsl/4505-3319_7-20292080.html?tag=return

> # If you get a device that's compatible with DD-WRT
> [http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices], you can
> install the OpenVPN-enabled version of DD-WRT and use that. DD-WRT is
> very good, and OpenVPN can pretty much do anything you want.

I have a Linksys WRT54G but a version 6 - not as expandable as earlier
versions. I don't think it will take the DD-WRT user install, but I
could be wrong.