[Tfug] ot: going rate for webdevelopers

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 26 18:55:33 MST 2007

It really depends what you are looking for.

If you are looking for stability (regularly available, meet deadlines ETC) , you will want to hire someone that is established and does this type of thing as a freelancer full-time.  For a pro I would expect to pay $60 - $75 for short term projects.

If you just have 10 hours of work and it really is simple stuff and once it is done you will not care if the person is available you might try looking for a student and I would think you can get a reasonably qualified student for $25 - $35/hr contract.

"Jeremy C. Reed" <reed at reedmedia.net> wrote: On Thu, 26 Jul 2007, Andrew Ayre wrote:

> I would think that PHP and database work would be quite a bit higher
> than plain HTML/CSS. Many websites these days are pretty much software
> programs and customizing them can be a specialized task.
>
> If I do a website for someone (not my main job, more of a hobby) then I
> quote a fixed price depending on what they want, rather than an hourly rate.
>
> I would say $15/hr is very low for anything more sophisticated than
> simple HTML, but I could be mistaken...

Yes, it is way low. Ten years ago I charged between $25 to $35 per hour
for plain HTML and web design. And over past few years for database work,
web server administration, and PHP (or other web coding) development work
from $45/hour to $75/hour to $100/hour (depending on the size of job or
prepay or not).

  Jeremy C. Reed

Tucson Free Unix Group - tfug at tfug.org
Subscription Options: