[Tfug] ot: going rate for webdevelopers

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Thu Jul 26 18:31:59 MST 2007

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007, Andrew Ayre wrote:

> I would think that PHP and database work would be quite a bit higher
> than plain HTML/CSS. Many websites these days are pretty much software
> programs and customizing them can be a specialized task.
>
> If I do a website for someone (not my main job, more of a hobby) then I
> quote a fixed price depending on what they want, rather than an hourly rate.
>
> I would say $15/hr is very low for anything more sophisticated than
> simple HTML, but I could be mistaken...

Yes, it is way low. Ten years ago I charged between $25 to $35 per hour
for plain HTML and web design. And over past few years for database work,
web server administration, and PHP (or other web coding) development work
from $45/hour to $75/hour to $100/hour (depending on the size of job or
prepay or not).

  Jeremy C. Reed