[Tfug] "Linux is a forking mess."

Matthew T. Eskes meskes at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 22:40:18 MST 2007

I agree with you however, this has been said many, MANY times over the
years. As I'm sure you know, there has been an effort to create a
"standardized desktop" to use with on Linux with freedesktop.org. However,
it's not as much a 'one desktop fits all' approach as it is with Windows or
Mac, it's a framework and spec. Also, it's not necessarily the FOSS
philosophy that wont take the responsibility but rather they won't put the
liability on their non-profit, who doesn't have the resources for legal
defense as the big boys do. So, it is easier to put the liability in the
hands of the user who assumes all responsibility by installing the product
-- even if it is for their own, private use and I agree that it is a shame
that it has to be that way, but it is. Now with Linux being or not being a
religion but an ego trip, it depends on whom you ask, and to be honest, it
is definitely both. My whole thing, which I've stated many times on this
list is that it's all a matter of which tools fit for which task, and you
use what you think is best for whichever situation.

Cheers.

Matt