[Tfug] "Linux is a forking mess."

Ashley Pritchard linuxpen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 21:36:56 MST 2007

I feel the article is very correct. There are too many distributions to be
able to compete for the PC with microsoft. Linux will never be able to win
over the desktop without a standardized distribution. The Linux community
bickers too much over worthless nuances & ways of doing something. The whole
Open Source rules are holding Linux back from  being  competitive  as well.
Along with DMCA & Patents the Open Source concept of "Free" software (ei
Free Speech) has placed the legality of getting multimedia applications to
work on to the user, who theoretically places their freedom on the line just
to get to view a DVD or listen to an MP3 on a system not running windows or
a Mac. The developers of the distributions refuse to take responsibility to
make Linux completely usable & refuse to compromise the idea of Open
Source/"Free" concepts but neither does the other side.
When I first stared using linux I used to believe the it would be able to
compete with Windows on the desktop but no longer. Linux will never be able
to compete for the desktop due to the lack of standardization, unity &
compromise.
Linux is never a religion but rather an ego trip.

On 7/19/07, Tim Ottinger <tottinge at gmail.com> wrote:

> I hit that earlier:
>
> http://tottinge.blogsome.com/2007/07/19/there-is-no-forking-problem-get-over-it/
>
> I'm just tired of it.