[Tfug] "Linux is a forking mess."

Robert Hunter hunter at tfug.org
Fri Jul 20 00:56:40 MST 2007

On 7/19/07, Ashley Pritchard <linuxpen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I feel the article is very correct. There are too many distributions to be
> able to compete for the PC with microsoft. Linux will never be able to win
> over the desktop without a standardized distribution.

Perhaps you are correct about one thing.  Until M$ gets its comeuppance
(think DoJ, and anti-trust), it may very well continue to dominate the
desktop market.  However, I think what you fail to see from your
desktop-centric perspective is that Linux-based OSes are quite successful
in other markets.  For example, I would almost wager that embedded Linux
OSes beat M$ hands down in market share.

> The Linux community
> bickers too much over worthless nuances & ways of doing something

Is that so?  I see nothing wrong with open discussion about software
development.  If it doesn't suit your taste,  then move on and let
someone else make the decisions for you.  Your apathy is your own
business, but complaining about others who are actively involved is
childish.

> The whole
> Open Source rules are holding Linux back from  being  competitive  as
well.
> Along with DMCA & Patents the Open Source concept of "Free" software (ei
> Free Speech) has placed the legality of getting multimedia applications to
> work on to the user, who theoretically places their freedom on the line
just
> to get to view a DVD or listen to an MP3 on a system not running
windows or
> a Mac.

Um, there is nothing that stops people from developing proprietary/closed
source software for a Linux-based OS, although there may be certain
restrictions about including other people's code in your product.  When I
watch movies on my TiVo, or listen to music on my portable digital audio
player, both of which run a Linux-based OS, I am doing it *legally*.
Please check your facts before making such absurd claims.

> The developers of the distributions refuse to take responsibility to
> make Linux completely usable & refuse to compromise the idea of Open
> Source/"Free" concepts but neither does the other side.

Refuse to take responsibility?  Did these folks not develop and maintain
the software for you?  Did they not exercise caution and prudence so that
the software is secure and legal?  And how much did you pay for this
software?  What more do you want?  Oh, right.  You want "completely
usable" sofware, but you haven't even defined what that is.

> When I first stared using linux I used to believe the it would be able to
> compete with Windows on the desktop but no longer. Linux will never be
able
> to compete for the desktop due to the lack of standardization, unity &
> compromise.
> Linux is never a religion but rather an ego trip.

Well, I'm glad that you've worked out that you are not a Linux fan.  So,
that raises the question:  what brings you to TFUG?

--
Rob