[Tfug] Xsupplicant woes -- setup misery (now wpa_supplicant woes)

Jeremy D Rogers jdrogers at optics.arizona.edu
Mon Jul 9 17:44:58 MST 2007

> --> I didn't realize I could use wpa_supplicant with a WEP network,
> but I googled it & I realized you're right. So I tried it.
>
> Unsuccessfully. I've pasted all the output it spat out at me below:

Bummer. In addition to what Claude suggested, you may also see if the
error messages are useful.. I see below two things that could be
show-stoppers for you:

> wafa at Hitchhiker:~$ sudo  wpa_supplicant -ieth1
> -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -d -Dndiswrapper
> Initializing interface 'eth1' conf '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf' driver
> 'ndiswrapper' ctrl_interface 'N/A' bridge 'N/A'
> Configuration file '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf' -> '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'
> Reading configuration file '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'
> ctrl_interface='/var/run/wpa_supplicant'
> ctrl_interface_group='0' (DEPRECATED)
> eapol_version=1
> ap_scan=2
> fast_reauth=1
> Priority group 5
>    id=0 ssid='AIRBEAR'
>    id=1 ssid='SomeOpenSSID'
>    id=2 ssid='WPASSID'
> Initializing interface (2) 'eth1'
> EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state DISCONNECTED
> EAPOL: KEY_RX entering state NO_KEY_RECEIVE
> EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state INITIALIZE
> EAP: EAP entering state DISABLED
> EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=0
> EAPOL: External notification - portValid=0
> SIOCGIWRANGE: WE(compiled)=21 WE(source)=18 enc_capa=0xf
>   capabilities: key_mgmt 0xf enc 0xf
> WEXT: Operstate: linkmode=1, operstate=5
> Own MAC address: 00:0c:e5:51:07:1d
> Driver does not support WPA.

Erm.. that doesn't sound good. I wonder if the NDISwrapper can't do
wpa? Google tells me it seems to, but you may want to have a look at
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-31418.html and see if you
can glean anything useful there. What is strange, is it didn't seem to
fail there, so lets forge ahead.

> wpa_driver_wext_set_key: alg=0 key_idx=0 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
> wpa_driver_wext_set_key: alg=0 key_idx=1 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
> wpa_driver_wext_set_key: alg=0 key_idx=2 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
> wpa_driver_wext_set_key: alg=0 key_idx=3 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
> Setting scan request: 0 sec 100000 usec
> Using existing control interface directory.
> ctrl_interface_group=0
> bind(PF_UNIX): Address already in use
> ctrl_iface exists, but does not allow connections - assuming it was
> leftover from forced program termination
> Successfully replaced leftover ctrl_iface socket '/var/run/wpa_supplicant/eth1'
> Added interface eth1
> RTM_NEWLINK: operstate=0 ifi_flags=0x1003 ([UP])
> Wireless event: cmd=0x8b06 len=8
> State: DISCONNECTED -> SCANNING
> Trying to associate with SSID 'AIRBEAR'
> Cancelling scan request
> WPA: clearing own WPA/RSN IE
> Automatic auth_alg selection: 0x1
> Overriding auth_alg selection: 0x2
> WPA: clearing AP WPA IE
> WPA: clearing AP RSN IE
> WPA: clearing own WPA/RSN IE
> No keys have been configured - skip key clearing
> State: SCANNING -> ASSOCIATING
> wpa_driver_wext_set_operstate: operstate 0->0 (DORMANT)
> WEXT: Operstate: linkmode=-1, operstate=5
> *** stack smashing detected ***: wpa_supplicant terminated
> Aborted (core dumped)

This one looks worse.. it appears that something is going horribly
wrong. You my want to search for the last line or two there and see if
anything useful turns up.

> (Note: I do now have the key all set up as a PEM file & in the right
> location -- I think. So what else would I need to do to configure the
> keys?)
>
> Also, below is the relevant section of my wpa_supplicant.conf file:
[snip]

Nicely done, you have now eclipsed me in setting things up the 'right
way'. I left mine in kudginess state 12. :-)

A couple of other notes on my previous recommendation, I was chatting
with someone else, and it seems I did some additional things like
adding my user to netdev and so forth. You may have better results if
you follow some sort of wpa/networkmanager/knetworkmanager howto. I
can't seem to find the one I was working from atm, so I guess all I
can do is offer that it can be made to work. Sorry about that. If I
find anything more that I remember using, I'll post a follow up.
Cheers,
JDR