[Tfug] Xsupplicant woes -- setup misery (now wpa_supplicant woes)

Wafa Hakim Orman wafa1024 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 17:41:49 MST 2007

Claude Rubinson wrote:

These types of networking issues are incredibly site-specific, so I
did a quick Google search for "baylor wpa_supplicant" and got a single
possibly useful hit at
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+question/6021.

I notice that the included wpa_supplicant.conf differs from yours a
bit.  Any help?

--> Thanks -- I wonder how I missed that one. Anyway, I changed my
wpa_supplicant.conf to match his (I didn't have the phase2 line, the
rest was pretty much the same). He has the following in
/etc/network/interfaces:
  iface eth1 inet dhcp
       wpa-driver wext

       wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

which was the same as mine, except for the driver -- I'm using
ndiswrapper. When I put in ndiswrapper for the wpa-driver section, the
output was exactly what I posted in my previous email. I changed it to
wext, just to see what would happen, & removed the driver information
from the wpa_supplicant command I was issuing. Screen after screen of
gibberish has been scrolling on & on (well, ok, it's not really
gibberish) for the last 10 minutes & still hasn't stopped.

This is what keeps scrolling on....& on......& on.....&.....

Trying to associate with SSID 'AIRBEAR'
Cancelling scan request
WPA: clearing own WPA/RSN IE
Automatic auth_alg selection: 0x1
Overriding auth_alg selection: 0x1
ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_PRISM2_PARAM]: Invalid argument
WPA: clearing AP WPA IE
WPA: clearing AP RSN IE
WPA: clearing own WPA/RSN IE
No keys have been configured - skip key clearing
wpa_driver_hostap_set_drop_unencrypted: enabled=1
ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_PRISM2_PARAM]: Invalid argument
State: SCANNING -> ASSOCIATING
wpa_driver_wext_set_operstate: operstate 0->0 (DORMANT)
WEXT: Operstate: linkmode=-1, operstate=5
wpa_driver_hostap_associate
ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_PRISM2_PARAM]: Invalid argument
ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_HOSTAPD]: Operation not supported
ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_PRISM2_PARAM]: Invalid argument
hostap: Failed to configure ieee_802_1x param
Association request to the driver failed
Setting authentication timeout: 5 sec 0 usec
EAPOL: External notification - portControl=Auto
RTM_NEWLINK: operstate=0 ifi_flags=0x1003 ([UP])
Wireless event: cmd=0x8b06 len=8
RTM_NEWLINK: operstate=0 ifi_flags=0x1003 ([UP])
Wireless event: cmd=0x8b1a len=15
Authentication with 00:00:00:00:00:00 timed out.
BSSID 00:00:00:00:00:00 blacklist count incremented to 18
State: ASSOCIATING -> DISCONNECTED
wpa_driver_wext_set_operstate: operstate 0->0 (DORMANT)
WEXT: Operstate: linkmode=-1, operstate=5
No keys have been configured - skip key clearing
EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=0
EAPOL: External notification - portValid=0
Setting scan request: 0 sec 0 usec
State: DISCONNECTED -> SCANNING
Trying to associate with SSID 'AIRBEAR'
Cancelling scan request

There must be someone here who can make more sense of this than me.

[/me wishing I had spent more time learning about networks...]

It seems to think my certificates/keys have not been configured. I
seem to think they have, at least according to whatever instructions I
could find.

Is any halfway sophisticated wireless authentication on any kind of
Linux really this painful for everyone?

Thanks in advance,

Wafa.

--