[Tfug] Install problem

DON KIERZEK donkzk at msn.com
Mon Jul 9 10:49:56 MST 2007

Don:

If your install is looking for (hd1, 2) that would be the third partition on
the second hard drive.  Is that right?  Grub starts at "0" (zero).  First
drive is hd0, first partition is hd0,0.  Do you have multiple drives?  If
not, you probably need to re-check your partition information.

Modifying your boot to start windows first is easy (usually?).  You need to
go to the /boot/grub folder (as root) and find a file "menu.lst" and edit
that.  The first OS listed should boot first.  Below is my listing in Ubuntu
6.10 menu.lst entry which should go right after the statement "END DEFAULT
OPTIONS".

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/hda1
#title		Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
#root		(hd0,0)
#savedefault
#chainloader	+1

In the above entry, you will need to remove the hash marks (#).  Also, my
windows is on the first hard drive and first partition hence the (hd0,0).
You need to change this to suit your system.  The title info can be anything
you want.

I've used GRUB a lot and have a number of systems on my computer so feel
free to contact me at my email if you have further questions.
Good Luck!