[Tfug] Ideas for the ultimate "Grandma Millie" distro...

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 12:23:34 MST 2007

On 1/29/07, Eric G <eric at nixwizard.net> wrote:

> > I think something in the Debian family tree will likely be "The Chosen
> One"
> > distro.  Ubuntu might get their stuff together for Feisty, or Debian 4
> > Stable has a chance if we can cleanly get OO2.1 onto it...
>
> That's always been the problem with Debian though... "stable" means just
> that - the software is thouroughly tested as a package and is extremely
> stable. The problem there is that also probably means "too old for
> bleeding
> edge folks to use."

Yes, EXCEPT during the period when a new stable package comes out (and Etch
is due any day now) it IS up-to-date.  Mostly, anyhow.

Lookit: I'm going on the assumption that the world is going to stabilize
around MS-Office 97/2000/2003 type documents.  And I think that's a valid
prediction - the latest Office '07 is just flat-out weird AND it's
expensive.

Since OpenOffice 2.1 can cope very well with MS-Office 97/2000/2003 docs,
people won't need to jump past OO2.1 for a good while - 2 or 3 years or
more.

So we have a golden opportunity here to build systems for non-geeks that are
stable and based on a standing target instead of a moving target.

And under those circumstances, yeah, a brand-new Debian Stable might be a
contender.

If you want a "Desktop Debian" (and they're based on Debian anyway...)
> go with Ubuntu (GNOME) / Kubuntu (KDE on Ubuntu) / Xubuntu (XFCE on
> Ubuntu)
> etc.

Yes, except that Dapper is outdated and Edgy is an unstable mess.

They very well might get it all together in  Feisty though.

Jim