[Tfug] Ideas for the ultimate "Grandma Millie" distro...

Eric G eric at nixwizard.net
Mon Jan 29 02:26:04 MST 2007

> I think something in the Debian family tree will likely be "The Chosen One"
> distro.  Ubuntu might get their stuff together for Feisty, or Debian 4
> Stable has a chance if we can cleanly get OO2.1 onto it...

That's always been the problem with Debian though... "stable" means just
that - the software is thouroughly tested as a package and is extremely
stable. The problem there is that also probably means "too old for bleeding
edge folks to use."

If you want a "Desktop Debian" (and they're based on Debian anyway...)
go with Ubuntu (GNOME) / Kubuntu (KDE on Ubuntu) / Xubuntu (XFCE on Ubuntu)
etc.

To me, in my personal experience, plain vanilla Debian, run with the "stable"
(NOT "testing" or "unstable") repositories in sources.list is for servers.

Hence, its extremely stable (as it should be).

Just my .02
-Eric