[Tfug] NEC Motherboard

Adrian choprboy at dakotacom.net
Wed Jan 10 23:50:17 MST 2007

On Wednesday 10 January 2007 19:40, john galt wrote:
> [...]
[snip]
> > The mouse &
> > keyboard sockets are combined in a little metal enclosure
> > that sticks above the plane
> > of the motherboard. I think a keyboard signal requires 2
> > conductors while a mouse
> > requires three. Is this correct?

[snip]

> Number one on the google hit parade is:
> http://tinyurl.com/ev21
> This says the answer is four conductors.

Yep, 4 are required, though a PS2 connector is spec'd as 6 pins, power,
ground, clock, and data. In the official specs, the 2 extra pins are unused,
though in some older PS2 ports they combined the mouse clock/data onto the
extra pins with a splitter attached to the port.

Thinking back... I actually did have a similar case once, where I dusted out a
machine and then couldn;t get a port to work again. I believe it was the
network jack. I eventually discovered a small dust bunny had partially
dislodged inside the jack, preventing contact to several pins when the cable
was plugged in. I have also seen many PS2/serial/USB where the connector has
filled with dust sucked in to the small crevices.

> Dirty dry air moving fast through a plastic hose sounds like
> a staticky situation.
>
> I wonder if Raytheon teaches ESD classes.

Well... Pima does teach:
ASP 114 - Prototype & Test Equip - Raytheon RA801
ASP140 Surface Mount Assembly - Raytheon RA801

So I'm sure it's in there somewhere... ;)

Adrian