[Tfug] NEC Motherboard

john galt johngalt1 at uswest.net
Wed Jan 10 19:40:34 MST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "erich" <erich1 at copper.net>
To: "Tucson Free Unix Group" <tfug at tfug.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 9:26 AM
Subject: Re: [Tfug] NEC Motherboard

> OK,
>    I looked for obvious things already, (Pardon the typos
> if any.
> There's a cat on my lap),
> such as jumper sockets without jumpers in them, but that
> seems ok. The
> mouse &
> keyboard sockets are combined in a little metal enclosure
> that sticks
> above the plane
> of the motherboard. I think a keyboard signal requires 2
> conductors
> while a mouse
> requires three. Is this correct?
>

> Erich
> Adrian wrote:
>
>>On Monday 08 January 2007 20:00, erich wrote:
>>

>>>    I have an old NEC Powermate 8100 with a Pentium II
>>> motherboard.
>>>Today I decided
>>>to dust it out. I do this by taking the exaust nozzle
>>>from a canister
>>>vacuum cleaner. This
>>>provides a hi-speed jet of air to blow out  the dust from
>>>the
>>>power-supply/motherboard.
>>>
>>>    Anyway I plugged it back in & fired it up, and now
>>> weird things are
>>>happening. The
>>>keyboard will work when it's connected to the ps2 mouse
>>>port. The mouse
>>>doesn't
>>>work at all. This is bad. The x-server won't come up if
>>>doesn't detect
>>>mouse input.
>>>
>>>    Any ideas?
>>>

>>Two... One, there is a piece of debrie caught under a chip
>>shorting out, or
>>perhaps even inside the connector preventing the pin from
>>contacting.
>>
>>The other ugly thing is that you killed the circuit by
>>static discharge from
>>the exhaust... Though I would expect something more than a
>>non-working mouse,
>>like failure to boot at all.
>>
>>Adrian

Number one on the google hit parade is:
http://tinyurl.com/ev21
This says the answer is four conductors.

I like the static theory and the dirt theory.

The weather was pretty dry today.
http://tinyurl.com/jtcqy

Dirty dry air moving fast through a plastic hose sounds like
a staticky situation.

I wonder if Raytheon teaches ESD classes.

If all else fails and you feel like blowing the cash, maybe
you could add a USB adapter plus mouse or keyboard