[Tfug] getting away from windoze

bryann brymelvin at melvinart.com
Sun Jan 7 10:13:11 MST 2007

> Message: 11
> Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 17:32:36 -0700
> From: "Christopher Robbins" <robbinsc at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Tfug] getting away from windoze
> To: "Tucson Free Unix Group" <tfug at tfug.org>
>
> Has anyone tried mplayer with mplayer-plugin? I used to use that all the
> time, before I got Kaffiene working the way I wanted to.
>
> Alternatively, you could try vlc, which has rpms and tars for most Linux
> distros.
>
> -Chris
>
> On 1/6/07, bryann <brymelvin at melvinart.com> wrote:
> >
> >         SNIP"
> >          there.  I have Ubuntu as the main distro for the wife, and the
> >         laptop next to it has windoze, in case she feels she just has to
> >         see a .wmv on CNN.
> >         SNIP
> >
> > FWIW I AM looking at cnn wmv's on Ubuntu. Also using Coreldraw and MS
> > office when I need to.
> >
> > I have Crossover set up with ie6 +windows media player and Firefox
> > windows version 1.5x set up with Realplayer 10 plugin.
> >
> > To Save hassle setting up OOo 2.1 on Ubuntu I am temporarily using 2.1
> > for win with Crossover beta. As we do graphics work I don't want to get
> > bit by this weeks wmf vulnerability in Ubuntu's 2.02 although that is
> > not much of a risk probably.
> >
> > Bryann

Yes I have ubuntu +kde added.
mplayer USED to work for ABC after installing KDE it chokes. Never got
Kaffeine to work for anything. Mplayer on CNN would say it was loading
get a string of text in the window and freeze. MSNBC would work.

I installed VLC from the ubunutu repo and then no streaming video would
work except the ABC shows (grey's Anatomy etc) no news.apparently
coexisting mplayer and vlc plugins trashed everything.My associations
must be totally screwed up. On the mac the only flash option is gpl
flash and no streaming video seems to work.

Got busy and lost track of where I was with this so I'm going to have to
remove all the players and start over when I get a round tuit.
In the meantime Crossover is doing the trick. This machine has a
vestigil w98 installation which comes in handy as I have found that
Firefox 2 won't install in wine or Crossover, it DOES run from the 98
partition in Crossover . Firefox 1.5 with wine actually plays the videos
better than in w98 but that is no surprise.

My biggest problem with using crossover is printing. Some Serif products
and corel draw give print text (a ps file with a "pass through" header
(I guess you'd call it) instead of the Graphics. I haven't had time to
play with this.

What I am doing for a work around is print to a file, then take the file
and edit the "wine passthrough " header out of it leaving a PS file
which of course then prints quite well.

I am sure there is a fix for this but haven't had time to research.

I do most of my routine printing of graphics from Picassa2 (another
wine) because GIMPRINT is obsolete and haven;t gotten Gutenprint to make
without errors. So printing from Gimp is back to the make a ps file
workaround,