[Tfug] Accessing shared folder

Ronald Sutherland rsutherland at epccs.com
Sun Feb 4 11:13:05 MST 2007

Is it a VPN setup to a larger network?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VPN

I'll guess its not a VPN, so is there a DSL or Cable modem router, they
can have a DHCP server but will not have a DNS (name) server. DNS
servers on Internet (outside of the DSL router) will decode there names
into addresses, however how is that going to happen for the local
computers? WINS is one of Microduf's older services, it was on NT3.51,
NT4.0. I did not use it with Win2k or with Active Directory on my home
network. At any rate unless you have a windows server on your home
network then I don't think WINS is decoding names. Samba can do WINS and
provide most of the Active Directory services, but it has to be
configured to do so.

A few more steps outside things I actually know is NetBIOS, which is MS
networking. I remember something about a master browser (per workgroup),
and wonder if it is decoding names on these small networks that seem to
just work for no fringing reason I can find?
http://web.mit.edu/rhel-doc/4/RH-DOCS/rhel-rg-en-4/s1-samba-network-browsing.html
I see a note under WINS that says a UDP broadcast is done, so that must
be how these small local networks are able to resolve names. They
broadcast and listen, WINS must use that to collect all addresses on a
subnet and route the information to WINS servers on other subnets...
:-(. With that I would make sure all PC's have the same workgroup name,
because I'll bet it will ignore the broadcast otherwise. I'm not sure
that help's the Linux box see the Win-3 box, but there is hope since
smb:\ in KDE runs the samba client and may make the UDP broadcast.