[Tfug] Accessing shared folder

Brad Becker investmgmt at s91195370.onlinehome.us
Sun Feb 4 09:06:48 MST 2007

On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 00:04:53 -0700, Eric Gearhart <eric at nixwizard.net>
wrote:

> What Ronald Sutherland meant when he said "Are you using M$ domain
> server and dhcp" was, basically, when the computers boot up and get an
> IP address automatically via DHCP, are they also registering their
> hostname with a DNS server with dynamic DNS (basically so when their IP
> changes in DHCP, DNS is automatically updated too)

Thanks for the translation :)

All I know is when the computers are turned on they're accessible by name
using the previously mentioned smb://<nameofpc>/sharedfolder/ command ...
except one.  As to whether they're registering the name with some kind of
DNS server I don't know ... don't know the specific command(s) to diagnose
... nor know the route to take based on the diagnosis. I do not have
static IP address assignments to any of the boxes, they're all DHCP'd.  I
believe another box was swapped out and replaced by the box which is now
giving me this issue.