[Tfug] tfug Digest, Vol 43, Issue 5

George Cohn gwcohn at simplybits.net
Sat Feb 3 09:33:58 MST 2007

Eric Gearhart wrote:

> Well if you're doing professional installs then the cables have to be
> certified (well... they're /supposed/ to be certified)...
>
> And yea just a continuity check kinda sucks. If I wanted to just throw
> voltage over the wire I'd just hack up a radio shack battery tester lol
>
> (speaking as someone who knows the difference between 568a/b, console
> cables, PoE cables [they can be different] etc)

Where I used to work, we had a company do all of the cable and fiber
runs.  Then they would certify each run and label them, most of the time
correctly.

It was sometimes frustrating to get into a big project and find a half
dozen unmarked or mismarked cables, especially if they went to different
closets or even different floors from the same cubicle.

But percentage-wise, they got more than 98% right.  ;-)  It was cool
watching them certify cables as they could tell you to the inch how long
each run was.

For a long time, we made all of our own patch cables, cut to length.

Then the company started pushing us to get more done with less people
and we went to store-bought patch cables.  At that point, the neatly
organized patch panels started to look like crap with extra cable
hanging everywhere.

Ahh, the blessings of the modern corporate world.  ;-(

George Cohn