[Tfug] Network cabling was: Re: tfug Digest, Vol 43, Issue 5

john galt johngalt1 at uswest.net
Sat Feb 3 12:17:44 MST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Gearhart" <>
To: <tfug at tfug.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 03, 2007 3:07 AM
Subject: Re: [Tfug] tfug Digest, Vol 43, Issue 5

>> Keep in mind that they test continuity only and indicate
>> if the pinning
>> is correct or not.
>>
>> If you want something to "certify" cables, plan on
>> spending $100 -
>> $1,000 dollars.
>>
>> How many folks know the difference between EIA 568-B and
>> EIA 568-A pinning?
>>
>> Telephone stuff uses what Cisco would call a "rollover"
>> cable, that is
>> it's flipped from one end to the other.
>>
>> George Cohn
>
> Well if you're doing professional installs then the cables
> have to be
> certified (well... they're /supposed/ to be certified)...
>
> And yea just a continuity check kinda sucks. If I wanted
> to just throw
> voltage over the wire I'd just hack up a radio shack
> battery tester lol
>
> (speaking as someone who knows the difference between
> 568a/b, console
> cables, PoE cables [they can be different] etc)

Excellent, someone who appears to know what they are talking
about.

Let's say the cable installer has finished wiring my new
office LAN according to the specifications/drawings my BICSI
certified designer has created. How can one tell the
installers have installed certified cabling? (as opposed to
cabling tested with a continuity tester) Do they give you a
test report? If so, what should it say on it?

What do you mean console cable? Like a RS-232 cable between
my laptop and the router /switch when configuring them for
the first time?

TIA