[Tfug] tfug Digest, Vol 43, Issue 5

Eric Gearhart eric at nixwizard.net
Sat Feb 3 03:07:22 MST 2007

> Keep in mind that they test continuity only and indicate if the pinning
> is correct or not.
>
> If you want something to "certify" cables, plan on spending $100 -
> $1,000 dollars.
>
> How many folks know the difference between EIA 568-B and EIA 568-A pinning?
>
> Telephone stuff uses what Cisco would call a "rollover" cable, that is
> it's flipped from one end to the other.
>
> George Cohn

Well if you're doing professional installs then the cables have to be
certified (well... they're /supposed/ to be certified)...

And yea just a continuity check kinda sucks. If I wanted to just throw
voltage over the wire I'd just hack up a radio shack battery tester lol

(speaking as someone who knows the difference between 568a/b, console
cables, PoE cables [they can be different] etc)

-Eric