[Tfug] Cheap Memory

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 22 13:16:07 MST 2007

I like DSL and Puppy Linux.  The concept is great.  Do I use them no.  I have one server that emulates the web for development that is LAMP.  I am able to set the doc root for each site to a TLD of .dev so the sites are only viewable local.  It is on a private IP and I added Samba so I can edit the code directly on the server.  I connect with an XP box and use PSPad to edit my code.  With the addition of the site.dev in my windows host file I can see the changes in my browser in real time.

I said all that to say this.  I would have to have worked way too hard and way to long configuring DSL or Puppy to do what I want to do.  All I did was download Fedora and do an install on an older Dell I have and used the GUI to configure what I wanted except Apache which I shell in to manage.

If I had to configure that box today it would take 3 to 5 hours to do so.  Given my lack of knowledge and lack of need to become a "real" Linux admin, I would have had to spend maybe several days configuring Puppy or DSL to do what I want.

I get paid to program not support my hardware.  That brings up another point.  I replaced my wife's then 2.5 year old Dell with a new Dell running Vista so I could have her old Dell to replace my 7 year old 500Mhtz/384Mb RAM server because I need reliability.

I plan to buy another box in 2008 to replace my now 3 year old server just to make sure I am on newer, faster hardware (I expect will be more reliable).  I do plan on keeping the 3 year old box as a backup.

So the decisions have been simply based on need.  I can't see running truely old hardware in a production environment.

As a novelty running an AMD500 with DSL or Puppy is really cool.  I think this is a great way to learn also.  Taking it one step further how about building your own Linux from scratch?