[Tfug] Cheap Memory

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 17 20:52:56 MST 2007

If we lived in vacuum that would work.  We are along for the ride.

I recently asked a PHP group about using Delphi for PHP and  was give the same thoughts.  Less efficient code.  Okay so maybe it is.

>From a pure business standpoint using a visual development environment makes perfect sense if it provides a means for creating apps in less time and also standardizes the way apps are built.

Isn't this deja vu of hand coded desktop apps Vs Vusual Basic, Delphi, VCC, Vusial FoxPro... ETC.

I can tell you I was able to crank out 10 times the app using Visual FoxPro than I was able to do by hand using foxBase+.

People are expensive, machines are cheap and we are along for the ride.

Ponder this.  In 1995 I was buying single 1m sticks of RAM for $40.00.
1Gig today is maybe $59.00.  Yikes 1 Gig in 1995 would have been $40,960.00 at $40 a Mb.

So if I can throw $59.00 or $108.00 worth of RAM (1 or 2 Gigs) and save more than 2 hours of programming time, I have broken even.  If I use some "bloated" development tool that cuts a 300 hour project in half then from a business perspective I just may have saved $7,500 or more.

Would you spend $108.00 to save upwards of $7,500 ?

As W2 situation is a regular employee, they are accounted for via a W2. A contract employee is accounted for via a 1099.

So a $65,000/yr employee cost the company $80,000 to $90,000 a year and work roughly 1800 hours.  90000/1800 = $50/hr +

Now answer this.  If we stayed with 8088 class hardware and 20mb HD's do you think you would have a job today.... and what about the robust economy we have been enjoying?

Bloat ware might be a good thing after all....

johngalt1 <johngalt1 at uswest.net> wrote: You ask others about their thoughts. What are your thoughts
about the topic, Keith?

What's a w2 situation?

I'd say that coder was lazy, incompetent, or incredibly
self-centered. The jist of it is that the coder can crap out
an un-optimized POS. Then, if the user has a problem running
the app, their hardware needs upgrading. (they need to pay
more money to make the app work)

In economics class they called that an externalized cost
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marginal_cost#Negative_externalities_of_production
To quote: Such externalities are a result of firms
externalising their costs onto a third party in order to
reduce their own total cost. . As a result of externalising
such costs we see that members of society will be negatively
affected by such behaviour of the firm. In this case, we see
that an increased cost of production on society creates a
social cost curve that depicts a greater cost than the
private cost curve

That is Bravo-Sierra

The interpretation for Keith is.... Bull sh*t