[Tfug] Cheap Memory = Lardy Men = UofA Comp Sci Program

Jeffry Johnston tfug at kidsquid.com
Sat Dec 22 09:58:38 MST 2007

Yeah.. I actually learned most of my good coding habits BEFORE I even got to
college.  Write enough programs on your own and eventually you start to
realize what code sucks and what code doesn't.  I even learned structured
coding with Basic, for crying out loud.  When a program gets big and
complicated enough, if the code is bad the project eventually aborts
itself.  Natural selection, or perhaps just self awareness?  Programming is
something I enjoy doing, though. Plenty (most) of the other students just
did their assignments, and that's it.  The rest of their time was partying,
dating, hanging out, etc.  On group projects I tried to work with the ones
that enjoying coding, because invariably I'd learn things from them.

But, I did learn some things at Pima CC.  Had good Java and data structures
classes there, because the instructors actually cared.  U of A was pretty
much a waste of time (and money, but not that much.. good thing I qualified
for financial aid!).  My favorite class at the U of A was compilers with
Debray.  My best experience was working on the Stork project in Python at an
undergrad researcher.  Got to teach myself a new language, started running
Ubuntu, and I still use Python to this day.

The U of A kept talking about wanting to teach theory and concepts.. not
languages.  I took C# and C++ at the U of A, but they hardly wanted to even
count it towards the major.  Pretty lame.  Most of the professors didn't
care about teaching, just about getting grants, etc.

Of course, when you are trying to get a job, the U of A is wonderful, right?
;)  You just leave off the fact that you were a good coder before you even
went to college.

Jeff