[Tfug] Cheap Memory, etc.

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 22 15:09:16 MST 2007

--- Robert Hunter <hunter at tfug.org> wrote:

> Software engineering should probably be a separate
> degree program at

<frown>  Isn't that like saying biology should be
taught seperately from the *medical* degree program?
(i.e. doctors should have to get a degree in biology
*and* medecine?)

> the UofA, but that is not likely to happen because
> of funding issues.
> Personally, that doesn't bother me so much as the
> fact that there
> seems to be very little collaborative work between
> CS and other
> departments.  In this day and age, programmers are a
> commodity.  I
> don't think we need more legions of code monkeys
> that can bang out
> Hello-world programs.  I do think we need more
> programmers with domain
> knowledge in applied areas.

What I think would be enlightenting would be real
world examples where you can *see* how all these
problems relate to the real world (I used to
*curse* Allen's "Wombats" while taking his class
but was humbled later in my career to see what they
really were!).

And, once that is done, to show how the *same*
problems keep turning up in different domains!!
*That's* when you realize just how much you can
reuse *algorithms* and why you really want to
spend time learning and writing *good* ones!

--don