[Tfug] CPU Query

Jim Secan jim at nwra.com
Tue Apr 3 07:07:32 MST 2007

At 08:59 AM 4/3/2007 -0500, Jeremy wrote:
>That's a great point that I forgot to mention before. In my matlab
>project, we are running up to 4 instances of matlab on an quad cpu
>system, and each instance runs at full speed.. Jim, if you were
>thinking of buying several cheap computers and dividing up multiple
>runs anyway, this might actually be cheaper because you only need 1
>harddrive, 1 mb, 1 video card, etc. You will loose a little in some
>overhead tasks, but it may still be a great way to go if your code is
>such that it can be run in chunks.

So, you can get near double throughput - sounds like the way to go.  Did
you see any evidence of overheating on your quad when you were loading all
four cores for an extended period?

Jim
| Jim Secan           | Northwest Research Assoc, Inc |
| (jim at nwra.com)      | 2455 E. Speedway, Suite 204   |
| (520) 319-7773      | Tucson, Arizona 85719         |