[Tfug] CPU Query

Jeremy D Rogers jdrogers at optics.arizona.edu
Tue Apr 3 07:31:42 MST 2007

> So, you can get near double throughput - sounds like the way to go.  Did
> you see any evidence of overheating on your quad when you were loading all
> four cores for an extended period?

Yes, I would say near double.. maybe it was 1.9, but I confess, I
wasn't paying close attention. Next time I have to do a data run, I
will pay closer attention to the details.

The machine is a dell with a beastly server case and lots of fans. I
only use it occasionally, but others in the group keep the cpu's maxed
for days at a time. I'm guessing that constant operation at high temps
reduces the processor lifetime, but if we reduce it from 15 years to
10, it's still worth it. I'd be shocked if we are still using the
machine in 10 years.
We are also getting ready to order another such workstation, and I
think it will be an HP or something. These machine are generally
$7-10k because they also have lots of ram (32GB in one). In any case,
cooling should not be a problem with a server type machine from a
commercial vendor, but if you are building your own, you should pay
attention to the fan specs and processor max heat production.

The BIOS will automatically kill a machine when the die gets too hot
on most modern systems, but I think you can also make linux deal with
this gracefully so you don't loose data at hour 100. You'll have to
verify it, but I think it's an ACPI thing (probably the 'thermal'
module). Look into docs about acpi thermal zones.
Cheers,
JDR