[Tfug] Automatic Update?

Jim Secan jim at nwra.com
Tue Sep 19 08:31:58 MST 2006

Well, the "user" apporach just bit it.  After researching on-line docs for
logrotate, I had modified the logrotate.d/yum file to rotate yearly.  Well,
when logrotate was run last night, it complained that "yearly" is not
acceptable.  Ah HA, the logrotate on FC3 does not understand "yearly."  The
on-line doc I read was for some other distro, but wait - the authors are
from Red Hat.  OK, so check versions.  Ah HA, FC3 (which I run) only
provides 3.7.1-2 while FC4 is at 3.7.1-10.  So, my choices are (1) load the
rpm from FC4 and cross my fingers, (2) download logrotate source and
rebuild for my system, (3) upgrade to FC5 and spend days fighting things
that have changed and are no longer consistent with commercial packages I
have, or (4) set up a cron job to notify me at the first of the year to
manually rotate the yum log.

Cheapest answer in terms of my time - #4.  Inelegant, perhaps, but life is
too short.

Jim

| Jim Secan           | Northwest Research Assoc, Inc |
| (jim at nwra.com)      | 2455 E. Speedway, Suite 204   |
| (520) 319-7773      | Tucson, Arizona 85719         |