[Tfug] Automatic Update?

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 19 06:39:15 MST 2006

--- Brian Masur <bcmasur at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Harry, TFUG,
> Since I didn't see anyone else mention it yet...
> Gentoo also has logrotate as a package.
> If another distro does not you can install it
> yourself, and like you were saying..
> Why reinvent the wheel?  I've used logrotate for
> making backups, not just logs.
> Anyone interested might google logrotate to find the
> origins.
> I wonder how many linux "fiddlers" out there have
> tried to write this on
> their own without knowing it has already been
> written.

IME, most "fiddlers" don't write things from scratch
but, rather, just "fix"/augment something that
already exists.  (it takes far more "vision" to
design something from scratch  :< )  This is the
strength (because so MANY people can contribute
without having to do much heavy lifting) and weakness
(because those contributions often fail to realize
many "other issues" impacted by their contributions)
of open source projects.  :-/

You take the good with the bad.