[Tfug] Automatic Update?

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 19 11:13:52 MST 2006

--- Jim Secan <jim at nwra.com> wrote:

> Well, the "user" apporach just bit it.  After
> researching on-line docs for
> logrotate, I had modified the logrotate.d/yum file
> to rotate yearly.  Well,
> when logrotate was run last night, it complained
> that "yearly" is not
> acceptable.  Ah HA, the logrotate on FC3 does not
> understand "yearly."  The
> on-line doc I read was for some other distro, but
> wait - the authors are
> from Red Hat.  OK, so check versions.  Ah HA, FC3
> (which I run) only
> provides 3.7.1-2 while FC4 is at 3.7.1-10.  So, my
> choices are (1) load the
> rpm from FC4 and cross my fingers, (2) download
> logrotate source and
> rebuild for my system, (3) upgrade to FC5 and spend
> days fighting things
> that have changed and are no longer consistent with
> commercial packages I
> have, or (4) set up a cron job to notify me at the
> first of the year to
> manually rotate the yum log.
>
> Cheapest answer in terms of my time - #4.
> Inelegant, perhaps, but life is too short.

Why not my original suggestion of just appending
`date` to the log file "regularly" (monthly, yearly,
etc.).  Can't cost much more than sending yourself
a reminder...  (and, if you fail to GET the reminder,
the log file will still be marked appropriately!)

Probably worth a tickler to the package maintainer
suggesting this "improvement"...