[Tfug] why not cable?

Steven Bowers steveb7 at bblabs.net
Tue Sep 12 08:34:23 MST 2006

It has been several years since I looked at cable but these are the points that turned me away at the time. I suspect some of them are still a reality.

* You are strictly prohibited from running any type of a server. Even something as innocuous as an SSH or RDP server.

* Some people I knew at the time had their bill automatically changed from residential to commercial rates because Cox detected VPN usage on their line. At the time Cox felt that using a VPN back to your office constituted commercial usage and not residential. If you did not like it your only option at that time was to drop service.

* A co-worker of mine lived in the west university neighborhood. When the UofA was in session he could barely get dialup speeds off of his cable connection. After repeated complaints a Cox cable tech came out and found that some student on the same node was running a porn and MP3 server off of his connection. The tech did something and my co-worker got his bandwidth back. Sadly that lasted about a week before it degraded again.

Sure a 12M downstream connection is great. But how many sites have the server capacity and the bandwidth to support multiple, simultaneous 12M connections? Even MS which has massive amounts of bandwidth (mostly through Akamai) to support their user base are throttling speeds for things like service packs and such.