[Tfug] Partition Second Drive

Joe Blais joe.blais at pti-instruments.com
Mon Oct 23 14:12:41 MST 2006

Hello -
You might be able to cheat with a virtual PC -- I 'm having a bit of mixed
success with it because of the display I have (a Dell flat panel).
On my desktop I run WinXP - should run on win2k -.  I got a free Virtual PC
from microsoft.  you might try it out before doing a bunch of other
partition stuff you can't recover from.

You just create a virtual pc.  You can tell it how much ram to use.  When it
boots the first time, it tries to load whatever OS from a CD or floppy, like
a real machine.
When installed, you have a large firl that acts like the hard drive, and
grows as you need it.  There is a config file that controls - whatever.  You
can also shut down at any time and it saves the current state (even between
installing multiple disk distributions).

You can shut down or save state, and then just make copies of the 2  or 3
files, and save those as backup.

It works better with winders products, but SUSE 10 works good, Fedora 1 is
good.  Fedora 4 & 5 seem to want to control my flat panel more -- I think a
regular crt would be good.

but for no money -- besides, I thing hard drives only allow 4 partitions.

It seems OK for testing things out but may not be a permanent solution.  If
all the virtual PCs were winders - it would work real good - you can even
run them concurrently if you have enough ram.  -- I've heard some people say
they have different virtual pcs for everyone in the family.

Joe