[Tfug] Partition Second Drive

DON KIERZEK donkzk at msn.com
Mon Oct 23 10:41:11 MST 2006

Need a little help here.  Just got a second hard drive and want to copy my
Suse Linux 9.2 to it.  Currently have a 20GB drive w/W98, w2k and Suse
Linux.  Want to use the new 120GB drive for Suse and other distros of Linux,
keep the old drive for windows after deleting linux from it.  I've
partitioned and formatted before with windows but only for new installs so
this is  new to me.  I am familiar with fdisk on Linux and also YaST.  Have
gone to a number of sites for help and info and the more I read the more
confused I get.  Here are my basic questions:

1.  Do I need a primary partition on the second drive or just ext/logical?
2.  Do I need to create a swap partition on second drive or will that copy
from the first?(seem    to recall this option is given to me when using YaSt
on a new install)
3.  When I copy Linux from the old drive, do I need to unmount the windows
partitions?
4.  Do I NOT copy the /proc directory (read that somewhere?)
5.  I'm also not sure about a 'mount point' on the new drive.  YaSt gives
several options.
6.  If I do get this resolved, what would be the best way to copy from the
old drive to the new?  I have found several options but not sure what would
work best.

This is a simple system, just a home computer.  Might be easier to just do a
new install of Linux on the new drive since I've backed up everything I
want.  Anyhow, any help would be appreciated and my email is donkzk at msn.com

Thanks,
Don