[Tfug] Server purchase

Harry McGregor micros at osef.org
Mon Oct 9 13:07:34 MST 2006

Hi,

If you are looking to have it built to your specs, SWS still does a fair
amount of work for the University, even with the workstation contract
going to Gateway.  I can help you spec the parts, if you want, and you
get get them to do almost any warranty, for a price.

We have mostly built our servers off of NewEgg.  For Hard disk drives we
have recently started going with Seagate due to size, and warranty (5
year, 750GB).

We just built two file servers, each for 15 750GB drives, running
software RAID6 with a hot spare:

Eored:~# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1] [raid6]
md1 : active raid6 sda1[0] sdo1[14](S) sdn1[13] sdm1[12] sdl1[11]
sdk1[10] sdj1[9] sdi1[8] sdh1[7] sdg1[6] sdf1[5] sde1[4] sdd1[3] sdc1[2]
sdb1[1]
      8790862848 blocks level 6, 64k chunk, algorithm 2 [14/14]
[UUUUUUUUUUUUUU]

md0 : active raid1 hdc1[0] hda1[1]
      3995584 blocks [2/2] [UU]

unused devices: <none>

Eored:~# hdparm -tT /dev/md1

/dev/md1:
 Timing cached reads:   3124 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1562.80 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  894 MB in  3.01 seconds = 297.28 MB/sec

                                              Harry