[Tfug] Server purchase (!)

Brian Masur bcmasur at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 10 16:03:09 MST 2006

If you aren't concerned about speed or ram, then I think the only guiding
factor on how cheap you can go is how much space you need.  So, the majority
of your cost should be in hard drives.  How much hard drive space do you
need?  I have a cheap P2-266 MHz that should take up to 384 MB  SDRAM.  You
could get a decent SATA (raid?) controller, 4-port, and four small SATA
drives, and it should be rock-solid.

I'm seeing a 4-port SATA raid controller for $26, and Seagate ST3808110AS
80GB SATA 3.0Gb/s drives for $55 each, free shipping, and 5-year warranty.
You can get those drivers cheaper with only a 1-year warranty, around $42
from what I'm seeing.