[Tfug] XFCE 4.2 Borderless Windows

Bill M. beelymagee at cox.net
Sun Oct 8 18:57:26 MST 2006

Everyone,
Here are results of my research/trials so far:
> I chose the Console Login at the Display Manager logon screen where I
> can choose the window manager (or use the default.) I got to a shell
> prompt, logged on, and typed:
> #startxfce4
> XFCE starts up OK -- but still borderless windows without controls. I
> then did:
> #ps ax | grep "xf*"
> and didn't see any instance of xfwm4 - this is the window manager. I
> think that nautilus is being started instead. I typed the following in a
> borderless console:
> #xfwm4 --daemon
> and received the following:
> The display does not support the XComposite extension.
> Compositing manager disable.
>
> All new instances of applications show the window controls and can be
> moved on screen. Now, just gotta figure out where to put these settings
> so XFCE starts this way from now on. Partial joy!

Turns out that the xinitrc file sitting out in the following location:
/usr/local/etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc
was not copied over to the following location:
/home/<my-user>/.config/xfce4/xinitrc
because xfce4 uses a session-manager (xfce4-session). Problem is, even
with the xinitrc file now sitting where it should be (in my home
.config/xfce4 directory), the session manager is instructed to ignore
the above commands in the xinitrc that invoke with the window manager
(#xfwm4 --daemon). So, until I can resolve the session manager not
starting the xfwm4 automatically, I'll have to load it myself. Must be a
conflict with nautilus somehow.
<grrrr> Any hints/suggestions would still be appreciated!

-*-Bill