[Tfug] XFCE 4.2 Borderless Windows

Bill M. beelymagee at cox.net
Sun Oct 8 00:59:46 MST 2006

Neil,
  Thanks for your response. I have tried some suggestions from the XFCE
web site - when all else fails, RTFM!

> Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 12:08:10 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Neil Short <neshort at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [Tfug] XFCE 4.2 Borderless Windows
> To: Tucson Free Unix Group <tfug at tfug.org>
>
> You need to select your prefered window manager when
> you log in using your display manager (gdm? kdm?
> wdm?). Generally, once you select xfce using your
> display manager, the preference will be remembered for
> future logins.

This was OK - XFCE shows in the display manager's window manager list.

> If you used a distro-neutral installer then the
> Display Manager may not know about the presence of the
> new window manager. You may need to make a few
> modifications to the display manager configuration
> files - or create an .xprofile (executable) that
> includes the line:

This is something I'm going to explore

> exec xfce # or whatever the command is for starting
> xfce.
>
> If you have an xterm in your borderless environment,
> you might experiment by typing
> $ xfce
> into that terminal emulator.

I chose the Console Login at the Display Manager logon screen where I
can choose the window manager (or use the default.) I got to a shell
prompt, logged on, and typed:
#startxfce4
XFCE starts up OK -- but still borderless windows without controls. I
then did:
#ps ax | grep "xf*"
and didn't see any instance of xfwm4 - this is the window manager. I
think that nautilus is being started instead. I typed the following in a
borderless console:
#xfwm4 --daemon
and received the following:
The display does not support the XComposite extension.
Compositing manager disable.

All new instances of applications show the window controls and can be
moved on screen. Now, just gotta figure out where to put these settings
so XFCE starts this way from now on. Partial joy!