[Tfug] XFCE 4.2 Borderless Windows

Neil Short neshort at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 7 12:08:10 MST 2006

You need to select your prefered window manager when
you log in using your display manager (gdm? kdm?
wdm?). Generally, once you select xfce using your
display manager, the preference will be remembered for
future logins.

If you used a distro-neutral installer then the
Display Manager may not know about the presence of the
new window manager. You may need to make a few
modifications to the display manager configuration
files - or create an .xprofile (executable) that
includes the line:

exec xfce # or whatever the command is for starting
xfce.

If you have an xterm in your borderless environment,
you might experiment by typing
$ xfce
into that terminal emulator.

-- hope this helps.

--- "Bill M." <beelymagee at cox.net> wrote:

> Hey all,
>   Weird problem with XFCE 4.2 on my laptop running
> SuSE 10.0. I
> downloaded the Distro neutral installer-bin file
> (from OSmosis), it does
> its compile and runs the installer interface -
> everything goes OK.
>   I launch XFCE and all application windows are
> borderless - no menu
> bar, no window controls (close, maximize, minimize,
> etc.) Odd behavior.
> I've looked at XFCE's site and a couple of mentions
> that no one has
> found a resolution for the issue. XFCE is sweet -
> I'd like to use it.
>   I'd like to use the installer to do an un-install
> of this XFCE, and
> then see if there is a resolution to the problem in
> a later version (I
> think there is almost a 4.4 release version in the
> works.) Would I be
> better off not using the OSMosis installer and
> simply getting the
> tarball and compiling or getting SuSE RPMs?
>   Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> -*-Bill

======
Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and extol and honor the King of heaven, for all his works are truth, and his ways are justice; and he is able to bring low those who walk in pride.
Daniel 4:37