[Tfug] Setting up second drive and adding to existing mount

Ammon Lauritzen ammon at simud.org
Sat May 20 12:43:57 MST 2006

Shaun Dixon wrote:
> 1. Initializing wd1 for the full 160gb

Well, I don't do BSD very much, so the exact commands involved there
aren't my thing. But if you've made a single partition that takes up the
whole of the drive, then you're good. If not, I think the song and dance
is: fdisk, disklabel, newfs. Man pages and other TFUG members will be much
more helpful than me on this one.

If you're worried about winding up with a slightly lower amount of actual
usable disk than the box says... well, welcome to the wonderful world of
marketing. The drive _is_ technically 160gb, but 160 * 10^9 or 160 * 2^30
are both acceptable values for the abbreviation ;) Also, there's the whole
issue of filesystem overhead - just because you have a 160gb drive doesn't
mean there'll be 160gb of usable space once it's partitioned and formatted
(that information needs to be stored somewhere).

> 2. adding that to the /samba mount, so that "drive" shows as 1 large drive
> of (approx) 300gb

Two ways of doing this.

First and easiest, you can mount the new drive under a subdirectory of
/samba (ie, /samba/otherstuff or whatever).

In order to combine them into a single logical unit... then you're talking
RAID-0. And unless you have a third drive to back data up onto while
combining the two devices into a raid, I heartily recommend against this
idea.

Ammon

--
Ammon Lauritzen