[Tfug] Setting up second drive and adding to existing mount

Shaun Dixon dahtcom at gmail.com
Sat May 20 20:08:49 MST 2006

Thanks for the assistance.

After some further research based on your suggestions, here is what I was
able to do...

1. ran "fdisk -i wd1"
2. ran "disklabel -e wd1"
3. edited a: to read "a:     312576642            63  4.2BSD   2048 16384
328 # Cyl     0*-310095*"
(which should make wd1a the whole drive)
4. ran "newfs wd1a"
5. ran "mount /dev/wd1a /samba/videos" (after already creating that
subdirectory)
6. added "/dev/wd1a /samba/videos smbfs rw 1 1" into /etc/fstab

So I think that works, but when I view the Samba share in windows (from the
//fileserver/samba/ as an example) it only shows the ~140gb and not the
extra ~160gb that should be there (I understand it will be less then 300gb
when its all setup, but the extra drive is not showing up as usable space
when I set up a mapped network drive letter in Windows).

Will I need to look into a RAID-0 setup to make //fileservername/samba show
up as ~300gb?

[on a side note: this is a newly installed system, so I have not moved over
any files permanently to this machine yet in case I screw up :) So no
worried there... yet haha]

- Shaun Dixon