[Tfug] Thinkpad passwords and loading Linux

sitkaa at email.arizona.edu sitkaa at email.arizona.edu
Thu May 4 09:40:24 MST 2006

I have by now emailed a number or individuals who have thinkpads for sale on
ebay. All of them have at first not known what I was talking about, and then
exclaimed that they don't know anything about these passwords. It goes
something like this:

---- Do you have all three passwords for your computer? (Not just the
hard disk
password...)

--- What are you talking about?

-- I am looking for a thinkpad on which to load linux. To do that I will need
the supervisor, hard drive, and power-on passwords. Particularly the first.
Without it, I would have to literally take the computer apart, weld a
temporary
bypass to the motherboard, with some specialized equipment and software. Way
over my head.

-Um, we don't know what you are talking about.

The primary password to be concerned about when mucking around in the bios is
the bios (AKA supervisors) password. I understand the need for security and
all, and I am not interested in buying a stolen computer, but I can't imagine
every thinkpad for sale on ebay is stolen.

Here is a link to IBM's explanation:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=ibm&lndocid=MIGR-59377

If the thinkpad is THE laptop onto which Linux is most easily loaded, how are
people getting around this?

I can't imagine you go out and buy a thinkpad, and then can't resell it
due to a
forgotten, misplaced, unincluded, unknown, or unavailable password.
Common-sense
dictates that there has to be a work-around here (of course, the modern
world is
not exactly overflowing with common sense).

Is the only solution to buy a brand new thinkpad from ibm/lenovo? From the
manufacturers viewpoint, that helps corners the market, and makes the
competing
resale market to a hit. From the consumers perspective, that drives up the
complexity and expense of purchasing one of these thinkpads. And from a Linux
standpoint, that makes thinkpads more difficult to work with, especially when
the password is not available.

Anybody have any comments? Know of some work-arounds. Or are used thinkpads on
ebay all stolen?

Michael

Quoting sitkaa at email.arizona.edu: