[Tfug] Thinkpad passwords and loading Linux

James Hood ebenblues at yahoo.com
Thu May 4 10:08:44 MST 2006

> Anybody have any comments? Know of some work-arounds. Or are used
> thinkpads on ebay all stolen?

I think you may be looking too far into this. If the sellers don't know what you're talking about, it probably means there are no bios or hard drive passwords set on the machine. If you don't have a bios or hard drive password set, Thinkpads  just boot up and go right to the OS. That is how my T23 came when I bought it from an ebay seller.

Also, it sounds like the people you're dealing with might not be as technically savvy as you are, so instead of talking about welding bypasses to motherboards, etc, ask something simpler, like, "Does the Thinkpad ask for any passwords when you first turn it on? If so, will you provide them?" Or something like that. If they say it doesn't ask for any passwords, I think it's safe to assume they are not set and you'll have no problem booting up the Thinkpad. Also, if you're concerned about stolen merchandise, look at how many sales the seller's had, their rating and other items they sell. That should give you a better idea of who you're dealing with.

James

"When I ponder my mind
I consistently find
It is glued