[Tfug] Xorg cpu utilization?

Chad Woolley thewoolleyman at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 12:11:49 MST 2006

Hi,

I just installed ubuntu with xubuntu/xfce.  I have a dual-head display
(two separate PCI cards).  Hardware is a Pentium D 3.4, with software
RAID-1 on two SATA drives.

PROBLEM: the Xorg process seems to hog most of my processor resources.

Even if I close all windows, and have "top" running in one terminal,
and "ls -alR /" in another, it pegs the CPU at 95-100%.  This is
either on one CPU, or spread equally across two.

Even with just a single terminal running top, the Xorg process hovers
around 30-50% CPU.

QUESTIONS: Is this normal?  What is Xorg actually doing?  Is this
possibly due to my Dual-head setup?  What could I try to fix it?

Thanks,
Chad