[Tfug] DSL curiosity

George Cohn gwcohn at simplybits.net
Fri Jul 14 18:13:24 MST 2006

bigj at flatwan.net wrote:
> Don't think the RTs in the neighborhoods are fed by fiber. I believe they
> are all DS1's if I'm not mistaken - copper in, copper out.

I'll have to check on that with some of my telecom friends at Quest.

I know that they offered to run fiber to the company I used to work for
but Time Warner Telecom gave them a better deal.  A redundant OC-48
Sonet ring.  Since then, TWT has leveraged that ring to tie in a lot of
commercial customers.

Before that, the company I worked for had a fiber ring from MCI-Worldcom
but it had some really Mickey-Mouse connections.  One was dial tone from
the Qwest Rincon central office on East Broadway that was back hauled
down to Valencia then back up Campbell/Kino to the MCI CoLo on Alameda
where it was placed on the fiber ring and sent back to the east side!

There was a micro burst that took out about 19 poles on Campbell a few
years ago and the hospital that was on the east side of the ring was
without CO trunks for nearly 4 days while they rebuilt that stretch of
fiber on Campbell.

I ended up routing calls over a couple of T1's to a west side switch
just to allow them to have some service.

George Cohn