[Tfug] remotely access 2wire 2700 dsl modem

Peter Collins pcollinsca47 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 12:14:35 MST 2006

I have two sites with Qwest dsl service. I recently ordered a 2wire 2700-HG dsl
modem from Qwest, which they bill as the "advanced" model.

Unlike the actiontec modems, the 2700 supports https for administration
via a web browser, at least from the lan side.

Has anyone figured out a way to access this interface from the WAN/internet?
By default, the 2700 is rejecting traffic on the https (and http) ports.
I figured it might work to forward the https port right back to the 2700
lan port. But there doesn't appear to be any way to specify an ip address
when setting up port forwarding. You have to select a machine name from
the a list of machines that have been detected on the lan and the 2700 doesn't
include itself in this list. (It does include itself on some other
device lists).

2Wire says there is a key code that I can get from my ISP that will enable
remote management. Qwest support either is clueless about this or claims
I must order some "netbacker" package to enable remote admin access.

Anyone know a way to get remore access working short of puting an
extra computer on the other side so I can come back in from the lan side?

Thanks
Peter Collins
pcollinsca47 at gmail.com