[Tfug] Smoothwall & wireless NICs

Angus Scott-Fleming angussf at geoapps.com
Sat Feb 4 23:56:18 MST 2006

On 4 Feb 2006 at 22:03, Gordon Zaft  wrote:

> Gang,
>  I'm settling into my new place in lovely Beaverton,
> OR, and trying to get my home network set up to my
> liking.
>
>  Unfortunately, the topography of my apartment and its
> cable setup means that I have to have the cable modem
> in the living room, whereas most of the computers are
> in the back bedroom.
>
>  What I'd like to do is put the firewall in the living
> room with the cable modem, and then link the
> firewall's GREEN interface to the rest of the network
> via a wireless NIC talking to the access point I have
> in the back bedroom.  I'm running Smoothwall 2.0, and
> it doesn't seem to see the wireless NIC (it's a 2.4
> kernel so I guess that's not surprising).

What's the wireless NIC?

>  I am considering updating to the SW 3.0 alpha that's
> on the website but I notice it seems to have been
> posted in September '05 and nothing since then.  Is
> Smoothwall still active?  Any other ideas for a
> relatively easy firewall I can setup for this purpose?

I use IPCop (forked from Smoothwall a few
years ago when the SW developer got a little
obnoxious on the lists).  www.ipcop.org, the
HCL (a bit dated) is here:
IPCop.org :: The bad packets stop here!
"IPCop Hardware Compatibility List"
http://ipcop.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpWiki&file=index&pagename=IPCopHCLv01

IPCop mailing lists are the best place to ask
questions about hardware like this:
    * IPCop-User
    * List Archives (MARC) (Sourceforge)
    * Subscribe / Unsubscribe / Preferences
      This mailinglist is meant for discussing user issues with IPCop
http://ipcop.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpWiki&file=index&pagename=IPCopSupport

--
Angus Scott-Fleming
GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona