[Tfug] Smoothwall & wireless NICs

Gordon Zaft gordonzaft at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 4 23:03:38 MST 2006

Gang,
 I'm settling into my new place in lovely Beaverton,
OR, and trying to get my home network set up to my
liking.

 Unfortunately, the topography of my apartment and its
cable setup means that I have to have the cable modem
in the living room, whereas most of the computers are
in the back bedroom.

 What I'd like to do is put the firewall in the living
room with the cable modem, and then link the
firewall's GREEN interface to the rest of the network
via a wireless NIC talking to the access point I have
in the back bedroom.  I'm running Smoothwall 2.0, and
it doesn't seem to see the wireless NIC (it's a 2.4
kernel so I guess that's not surprising).

 I am considering updating to the SW 3.0 alpha that's
on the website but I notice it seems to have been
posted in September '05 and nothing since then.  Is
Smoothwall still active?  Any other ideas for a
relatively easy firewall I can setup for this purpose?

 Thanks in advance!

Gordon

------
Gordon Zaft