[Tfug] Linux? Debian? Kubuntu?

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Thu Feb 2 17:56:46 MST 2006

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006, Richard Rohrdanz wrote:

> I have started experimenting with both Linux (Fedora core 4) and
> Debian. They have given me enormous headaches due to the steep
> learning curve and problematic installations. I am trying to learn
> enough to install a non-Microsoft operating system on about a dozen
> older (486 and Pentium class) computers that have been donated to a
> non-profit organization. The users are all OK in a GUI environment but
> would avoid a command line like a scorpion.

486 and old Pentium computers are great for firewalls and some servers,
but are really not a good idea for a desktop system.

Yes you can do it (and I have many times), but your software will be
limited and the end-result will be a poor example of what a good and
useful Linux-based desktop system can and should behave like.

Also, because of the limitations, the learning curve will be greater for
novice users -- simply because most of the friendly easy-to-use software
is not easily runable on slow, low-memory systems.

If you really want to use really old and limited computers, kubuntu and
even standard Fedora are probably not a good idea. Debian (and kubuntu and
Fedora) can be made to work, but it will take a lot of work and
configurations.

I suggest you specifically tell us: 1) what tasks the users will need to
do; 2) the software they currently use or are familiar with for doing
these tasks; and 3) how much physical computer memory you have.

We may be able to suggest some software and give you some ideas.

(By the way, I sit at blackbox as my window manager for several years now.
This last year, I also added fbpanel to give me a simple taskbar. I use
elinks as my primary web browser and then firefox.)

> I am volunteering my time and the organization has limited resources.

Even with "limited" resources, it may be better to use more modern systems
to save your "time".

> Can someone tell me the strong and weak points of the various Unix
> incarnations in this environment?

 Jeremy C. Reed

	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/